Monday, October 6, 2008

Being a Stay at Home Mother


My friend Wendy just sent me something she wrote. It was so well put and beautiful, I asked her if I can share it and she said OK. This is exactly how I feel. Its funny how much our lives and families have in common. The things we believe and the way we live are very similar. I am not always good with typing out my feelings so I am thankful to her for letting me share this because I couldn't have said it better myself!

I always knew what I wanted for MY life was to be a mother and wife, nothing else in life was/is going to make me more complete and fulfill like to be a mother. When my son was born, I was convinced that staying home with him, was the best this to do. Even before I became a mother, I already had strong views/opinions on parenting. Being a Mother is my passion... I live it and I enjoy it! I know some women cant understand that because their priority or goal in life is to become something else. Some may think "how can you feel stratified with being JUST mom and wife?" well, I'm more than JUST a mom and wife! I have the most important job in the world. My priority is, to be ME, his MOTHER, the one to raise my son. And my main goal in life is to raise my son to be a successful, happy, responsible, caring man. Nothing is more important to me.
The benefits of being a SAHM are the reassurance that comes with knowing my son received all the love and attention he needed. To know that he was learning at a maximum rate because I had the time to devote to his developing intellect. Being a stay at home mom gives me the opportunity to feed my child healthy, organic, and nutritious meals, I don't have to wonder what or how much my son ate at the babysitter/daycare, I don't have to worry if he ate enough, if he didn't feel good, if he got the attention he NEEDED, or if he was simply not feeling good and all he wanted was him mommy. And as he gets older I wont have to worry about whether he missed the bus, had a ride home or had to walk home, or if he simply got home safe from school. I will be the first person to hear about a broken heart, class bully or an A+. I am his first kiss in the morning and the last kiss at night. This alone makes the job worth it. I am the voice of reason that has become a child's conscience. I am the reason that my son will never have to think about going to school each day with clean clothes, brushed hair and teeth and a healthy lunch. He will come home to a warm house and a warm dinner. I will have the time to photograph every wonderful event, and some ordinary times too, to treasure forever. I have/will be there for every single milestone, for every single smile and every tear. It will be me, rewarding him and comforting him when he needs it. It will be me creating that special bond with my child, giving him that security he needs to build a strong confidence.
I truly believe that being a stay at home mom benefits not just my son but my family as well. Being at home means I have the time and energy to create a home around us that is comfortable and welcoming for us. My son is learning to help me clean, and our house is tidy; floors swept, dishes done, and clutter put away. This is easier to do because I am able to work on it a little every day, rather than waiting for clutter and grime to pile up to overwhelming proportions. This is very important because my personality does not permit me to be comfortable and happy if my home is messy. Also my husband can have his mind focused on his job and not on whether the kids got picked up from school and such. He gets home happy and anxious to see family. He comes home to a warm dinner or we eat out but what makes our dinner special is that we ALWAYS have the dinner together, as a FAMILY.A misunderstanding about kids with stay at home moms is that they are not social and their intellectual development is slower, my son has not been in daycare or with a babysitter not a minute of his life and he is one of the most confident, intelligent, well behaved 3 year old I have seen. He has always been advanced in everything, from physical to intellectual development. He has great manners, is very affectionate and loves being around kids.I don't "waste" my time being at home, I'm always doing something... whether is doing arts and crafts with my son, taking him to school or soccer practice, cooking and laundry... my day is always busy! The only time I have to "sit on my behind to watch TV" is when our son is down for the night.As I see it, I hold many jobs. Never will I be "JUST a mom". I am building a solid foundation for our future. I am raising a child who comes from a house where he is loved and cared for. I am raising a child who's biggest concern is being a child. And when I send my child out into the world, I will be confident that my job of "Mother" was the best gift that I could give to myself and to my child. And although my job doesn't end in 8 hrs nor do I get money for what I do... I wouldn't trade it for the world! I get endless smiles, hugs, and kisses all day, everyday! what more can a woman ask for?
With that being said....

"Years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, What kind of house I lived in, how much money was in my bank account nor what my clothes looked like. But the world may be a better place because I was important in the life of a child."

Please remember, this are MY PERSONAL thoughts. I don't want to come across as if I'm saying working moms are bad moms, my mom was a working mom (on and off) of course, she is my role model and hero. I know sometimes we don't have a choice and HAVE to work. I have been blessed to be able to stay at home with my son. I hope every mother that has the CHOICE to stay at home, would. I'm SURE they wouldn't regret it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

woot! Im not good at typing/writing my feelings/thoughts either! it took me a while to put that together! even after using quotes i had heard before LOL

Anonymous said...

Very sweet. I wish I had the option of staying home, unfortunately I can't. But that was just beautiful.