Today, we tried to give Giovanni cereal for the first time. It did not go quite as planned. Here is the story.
I always felt very strongly about waiting until my children are 5 1/2-6 months old before giving them solids for the first time. It worked out really well with Antonio and I had planned on doing the same thing with Giovanni. When Giovanni went to his pediatrician for his 4 month checkup, his doctor recommended we started him on baby cereal. I asked him if that was something I had to do, or if I could wait another month or longer. His doctor had said it was not something I needed to do, however, we would be going through a lot of formula. Boy was he right. Short after that appointment, I noticed Giovanni only being satisfied for about an hour, hour and a half after a 7-8oz bottle. After a lot of researching and questioning I starting thinking that waiting so long to start cereal may not be the best decision for Gio. I would have to use my mommy judgement and do what I feel is best.
Being that my sister in law and mother in law are visiting from up north this weekend, I thought it would be a great idea to try rice cereal for the first time to see how he does and see if he is ready. My parents came over this morning, it was a big show and we were all so excited to watch as we did with Antonio.
I probably should NOT have tried this for the first time today. I guess I was just so excited, I did not take his attitude into consideration. Giovanni is having an "off" day today. He woke up very fussy and has been for most of the day. Even with his bottles, he was not totally comfortable. I should have known he was definitely not in the mood to try anything new, but I tried anyway. Not to mention I tried the cereal around 30 minutes after his bottle. After two tries, I realized this was NOT the right time. Good thinking mom LOL wow. Tomorrow, if he is in a better mood, we will try again. If it does not work out tomorrow, I will not try again until next week. So that is my plan for now :) We still had wonderful laughs watching his little face. Here are a few pictures we did manage to get :)

.JPG)



I always felt very strongly about waiting until my children are 5 1/2-6 months old before giving them solids for the first time. It worked out really well with Antonio and I had planned on doing the same thing with Giovanni. When Giovanni went to his pediatrician for his 4 month checkup, his doctor recommended we started him on baby cereal. I asked him if that was something I had to do, or if I could wait another month or longer. His doctor had said it was not something I needed to do, however, we would be going through a lot of formula. Boy was he right. Short after that appointment, I noticed Giovanni only being satisfied for about an hour, hour and a half after a 7-8oz bottle. After a lot of researching and questioning I starting thinking that waiting so long to start cereal may not be the best decision for Gio. I would have to use my mommy judgement and do what I feel is best.
Being that my sister in law and mother in law are visiting from up north this weekend, I thought it would be a great idea to try rice cereal for the first time to see how he does and see if he is ready. My parents came over this morning, it was a big show and we were all so excited to watch as we did with Antonio.
I probably should NOT have tried this for the first time today. I guess I was just so excited, I did not take his attitude into consideration. Giovanni is having an "off" day today. He woke up very fussy and has been for most of the day. Even with his bottles, he was not totally comfortable. I should have known he was definitely not in the mood to try anything new, but I tried anyway. Not to mention I tried the cereal around 30 minutes after his bottle. After two tries, I realized this was NOT the right time. Good thinking mom LOL wow. Tomorrow, if he is in a better mood, we will try again. If it does not work out tomorrow, I will not try again until next week. So that is my plan for now :) We still had wonderful laughs watching his little face. Here are a few pictures we did manage to get :)
3 comments:
Awww poor lil guy... Maybe if he doesn't like it again maybe try using it in the bottle? I never did that way with both the kids...but maybe it'll work for him...other than that he's still adorable lol...lil chunka munka
Noooo, whatever you do try not to put it in the bottle. He should get used to taking it on the spoon, plus in the bottle just add's way more calories than he should be getting. On the spoon you can judge when he's full and had enough plus it sets you up for being able to get him to eat all the fruits and veggies from the spoon. Don't rush, you are the mommy you know when hes ready :)
No I would never put it in a bottle hehe I know that :)
Post a Comment