Saturday, March 13, 2010

Importance Of A 5 Point Harness Car Seat

Parents, please take a moment to watch this video in its entirety.

Great information was passed on to me by a very good friend of mine last year about how important it is to have your child in a 5 point harness carseat. At the time, Antonio had just turned 4 years old and was in a regular booster seat because I thought he was big enough to ride safely in one.

When I saw this video, I cried my eyes out but I'm grateful I had a chance to watch it and learn all about the knowledge my friend has to offer on car seat safety. Nothing is more important to me then my children's well being. The next day, regardless of Antonio's age, I ran out and got him a 5 point harness car seat and he has been in one ever since- because that is whats safest for my child.

Another important fact: Most 5 point harness car seats only go up to 40lbs before they turn into a regular booster seat. As I learned yesterday, a car seat may say it goes up to a certain weight, but after the 40lb mark, the seat needs to be turned into a booster, and the 5 point harness should no longer be used.

This was a problem for me because although Antonio's car seat goes up to 65lbs, the 5 point harness can only be used up to 40lbs and Antonio is now around 45lbs. Well, there ARE car seats where the 5 point harness can be used for bigger children and Antonio just got one today! We got the Graco Nautilus 3-in-1 Multi Use Car Seat. A few of my friends have this as well and are very happy with this seat and so are we! If it was not for my friend, I would have kept Antonio in his old 5 point harness car seat not knowing he is over the weight limit for it- thinking it goes all the way up to 65lbs. So, being knowlegeable about car seat safety is important too! I wish all parents were as knowledgeable as I am now about it. I'm going to pass on this information to as many parents as I know!
A parent should never have to lose a child... especially if the situation can be avoided.

No comments: